Friday, April 30, 2010

Kady Update

Yesterday was Kady's 2nd endoscopy.  All went well. We won't have any results for at least a week.  Depending on the Pathology reports here, the biopsies may or may not be sent out to Cincinnati Childrens hospital for a 2nd opinion.  Because she wasn't able to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before, I was sure to schedule her first thing in the morning. 

This is how our day went...

We had a 7:30am check in time for a 9:00am procedure.  The anesthesiologist gave her some medicine before hand to relax her.  She looked, talked and acted like she was drunk.  Stumbling all over, slurring her words, eyes kept drooping and she had trouble holding her head up.  I tried so hard to get  a good video but couldn't.  Once she was nice and loopy, they wheeled her back.  This time they let me go back with her until she was put to sleep.  I was happy to do so and now wish I kind of hadn't. Not that I expected to see anything weird or traumatic, which I didn't, it was still REALLY weird and bizarre watching her get put under.  I held her hand as she looked up at me all drug eyed and drunk with a half smirk on her face.  They put the mask over her mouth and she cried and cried until she fell fast asleep and her limp, little hand slipped out of mine.  I leaned over and kissed her on the forehead and walked out of the room as they were prepping to put in her IV.  Honestly, I felt a bit light headed but didn't realize I looked like I was until the nurse and doctor asked me repeatedly if I was okay, if I wanted to sit.  Like I said...it was weird.  I can't really explain it.  It was just unnatural.  The actual procedure took only 10 minutes and everything went well. 

Now...

Recovery....

If ever there was a time I wanted to kill someone, it was yesterday after her procedure in the recovery room.  Again, nothing out of the ordinary happened.  I expected Kadence to be really out of it, confused, crying, snuggly, the whole bit as she woke up.  That's what happened last year.  Why I didn't prepare myself for something different, I don't know.  When the nurse called us back, she only let one of us back, she said Kady was yelling for Mommy.  So I went. When I got back there,she of course was half asleep, eyes closed, flailing all over the bed.  They were trying to get her blood pressure when she flailed over and hit her head on the metal side bar of the bed.  Fine, whatever.  That didn't phase me.  I just wanted to pick her up, so I did.  They weren't able to get her blood pressure anyways with as much screaming and crying that was going on.  For a half an hour straight, with all my strength, trying NOT to yank out any wires, IV's etc., I held her in my lap.  She screamed the entire time "take it out" as she continually tried to pull out her IV.  It got to the point that I asked the nurse to take it out.  She said, "not until she drinks some water."  Well, Kady wouldn't drink any water.  Kady had NO CLUE what was going on except "Ow, it hurts!!! Take it out!!!"  I knew that if they would take the dumb IV out she would calm down a bit and I would probably be able to get her to drink something.  The nurse insisted she couldn't and for another 15 minutes I exhaustively held her down as she cried for "Daddy." I told the recovery room nurse that if she wasn't taking it out or giving her something to calm her down, then she needed to take over and hold Kady.  I called Dom and told him to get back there to help me out not giving two sh*ts what anyone thought about us both being back there at that point and I began to get mad....VERY MAD!!  Yelling, red-faced, mad!!!!!  It was seconds before I was taking that IV out myself.  My thought was, if it's just precautionary at this point, get RID OF IT.  For pete sakes I was in a hospital, if something were to go wrong.  The anesthesiologist really wanted to keep it in just in case she started vomiting.  Again my thoughts, if she does and it's bad enough she needs an IV, then we'll put another one in.  I was pissed and of course Dom missed all the action by about a minute.  I was in total protective Mama mode.  I can laugh about it now. During this whole time the nurse was acting like we were idiots.  Talking to us as if we didn't understand what was going on and repeating the same thing over and over like we didn't hear her and respond to her the first five times.  At one point she tried to hand me Kady's water bottle as I struggled from dropping her on the floor.  I couldn't help but to look up at her like she had three heads and say "Really? I can't hold her and grab that too."  Needless to say, I WAS RIGHT. ((grin))  Kadence DID calm down a bit and DID begin drinking water.  We didn't end up staying in the recovery room as long as we probably should have.  Neither Dom or I really cared at that point.  We wanted to get home.  I'm not sure they wanted us to be there any longer anyways. LoL.


and now....

....We wait.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing Ashley and have such an amazing little girl...I am sorry you have to go through this.

    Thinking of you and you all are in my prayers everyday.

    Lots of love.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete