Saturday, December 12, 2009



What a great day today!  I have not worked this hard since I waited tables back in college.

Last Saturday, my girlfriend Kelly and I went shopping with the Elk's and the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) to buy Christmas gifts for kids with Muscular Dystrophy and their families.  Our budget was around $2,500 although we spent a total of $2,800.  Each kid received 2 to 3 gifts.

Today was the luncheon for the kids where we served them food, did arts and crafts with them and handed out all the gifts.  Santa arrived in a fire truck which was a hit.  It was so nice to cater to those with special needs and to give their families a break for one afternoon by allowing us to serve and play with them.  You should have seen the smiles.  It was very touching.


The shopping crew and gifts.
To Do: 7hrs of wrapping


 
Kelly and I

"One is not born into the world to do everything but to do something."
   ~ Henry David Thoreau




I've always wanted to volunteer my time to help others but other than serving Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless Vets, I never made the time or effort to do more until last year.  It all started when I lost my nephew to Cystic Fibrosis and found out that my daughter and I are both carriers of the gene as well.  I was committed to help raise money and awareness to make those living with CF have a more comfortable life on here on earth.  It has been a truly humbling experience.   I'm constantly looking for the next opportunity.




No comments:

Post a Comment