Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Kady Update

Can I take back November 27th's post??  Alright just kidding =o)  Two days down of our 6-8 week liquid diet.  I had a mini breakdown last night about it as my husband put our daughter to bed.  To starve a child for any reason at all just doesn't seem right especially when it's your own.  I also want to know what is wrong with her though and I'm feeling frustrated that the answers won't come easy!  She kept asking for hotdoggies (hotdogs), Mananas (bananas),  Cackers (crackers), Nummies (gummies), Cockcorn (popcorn)....Ugh!!!!  Dominic and I didn't eat dinner until 9 o'clock because it felt wrong to eat in front of her.  She had refused to drink water all day also because she was afraid it was the nasty formula.  By the time we put her to bed, she was already showing multiple signs of dehydration.  All of these things lead to my mini breakdown.  I cried and cried telling Dom I didn't think I was going to be able to do this. If I couldn't make it through one day how was I to manage 6 to 8 weeks?  It was at that moment, 9:30pm, I went to her room, picked her up out of her crib waking her up and fed her a whole PB&J.  Dominic was actually making the sandwich as I brought her out into the kitchen.  Great minds really do think alike!  Oh it was pure joy.  Finally I would be able to sleep.

Dominic was never crazy about this whole thing and Neither was I.  There was a moment I thought he would fly out of his chair and choke slam the Doctor as he told us about this next step.  We like this Doctor from what we've seen so far but this step in the process seems so extreme.

Today I didn't feed her all day. She did a little bit better although she kept saying she was sad.  Uh....heartbreaking!!  She did eat another PB&J before bed tonight but that was it.  I decided it was best to feed her something until I could figure out how to get her to drink the formula.  I started mixing it 1/2 rice milk and 1/2 formula and she drank 4 sippy cups full throughout the day...progress!  It feels a little less like starving your child when you know they are getting some of the nutrients they need.  So we are slowly working our way up to no PB&J's and 4 sippy cups of formula per day.

If you are at all interested in reading up on her condition click the link below.  It is interesting just because it is a rare kind of disease, there is no protocol for treatment and they aren't sure of long term affects, if you can grow out of it etc.


What we do know at this point is she...
1. is lactose intolerant
2. is allergic to Eggs
3. has Eosinophilic Esophogitis (read above link)
4. has Colitis
5. tested negative for Celiac Disease

Hopefully we'll know a lot more at the end of 8 weeks, hoping for 6, praying for 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment