Tuesday, December 15, 2009




Interesting night in the neighborhood last night.  I came home to road closures surrounding our gated community and inside the gates they had half the neighborhood blocked off.  The street our house was on was the only street open.  There were cop cars everywhere and a police helicopter with spotlight flying overhead.  I was nervous that they were looking for someone of course so I was a bit on the edgy side.  Upon entering my house, I quickly set the alarm and started checking the door and window locks.  All of the sudden, out of nowhere my house alarm goes off saying "garage door open."  Holding Kadence I must have jumped 10 feet in the air.  Our 3rd garage door is on the opposite side of the house from the garage that I parked and walked in.  I hadn't checked that side of the house yet so now my nerves were rattled.  I considered running outside and up the street to ask one of the officers what was going on or getting in the car and leaving but instead I grabbed a kitchen knife and with Kady in one hand, knife in another I went through the house room by room checking under beds, in closets and behind shower curtains leaving every light on in the house.  Dom was at a job interview and his phone was off.  I watched carefully out the front window to see a fire truck pull up, four K-9 units, more squad cars and people evacuating their homes.   It was long after Dom called me to say he was on his way home.  I figured he could find out what was going on on his way in and we'd decide together if we needed to leave or not.  After all, no one knocked on my door to tell me I needed to and they all watched me pull in my driveway.  I was a little nervous when Dom had called back saying even more roads had been blocked off and he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get home.  Being home alone, 7months pregnant with a 2yr old and not knowing what was going on outside left me with a less than warm and fuzzy feeling inside.



Apparently, there was a domestic dispute in a house around the corner from ours between a mother and her son.  The son works at a construction site where explosive are used.  He had been stock piling blasting caps and came home with explosive material and detonators.  When the mom called the cops, the son took off on foot with a backpack.  The search for the son and of the home began.

So, Dom comes home to tell me that although our street was the only one in the neighborhood not blocked off they made him park elsewhere and walk up.  He then tells me that it's a bomb scare in the neighborhood and 20 of the 35 homes have been evacuated but we are in the safe zone.  He also pulled in behind two unmarked bomb trucks and had the perverse pleasure of watching a squad car back up into a boulder in the neighbors front yard.  Kind of funny.  So if you were watching the news that night, you may have caught a glimpse of our house.  It was an entertaining evening to say the least.  As of this morning they are still looking for the son but everything in the neighborhood seems quiet and back to normal.



No comments:

Post a Comment